Maybe you’re here because the thought of frozen hot chocolate is intriguing, or maybe you’ve tried frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity or another restaurant and want to try and make it yourself. Yay! Not only is this frozen treat EASY, but this recipe in particular is much richer in flavor than most recipes for frozen hot chocolate.
Many recipes just call for a blend of hot cocoa powder, milk and ice–boring!. Adding real melted chocolate makes a big difference! It also makes a difference to use a high quality brand of hot cocoa powder, over a generic store brand. You can even mix up the flavors (I love to use mint hot chocolate powder). I think you’re going to love it!
What is Frozen Hot Chocolate?
Frozen hot chocolate is an icy beverage made with hot chocolate mix, melted chocolate and ice. The chocolate taste resembles the flavor you love from traditional hot chocolate, but it’s served more like a cold slushy.
The name is an oxymoron, but it’s fitting because it isn’t your typical chocolate shake. It’s much healthier than a regular chocolate milkshake since it’s thickened with ice instead of ice cream. It makes the BEST cool and refreshing summer treat that you don’t have to feel guilty indulging.
How to make Frozen Hot Chocolate:
- Melt chocolate in a the microwave on half power, in 20 second increments, stirring until smooth.
- Once melted, stir in some hot chocolate mix, sugar and a little bit of milk. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- In a blender, add some more milk, a few cups of ice, and the melted chocolate mixture. Blend until smooth. Serve immediately, topped with fresh whipped cream.
Frozen Hot Chocolate
Frozen Hot Chocolate is a refreshing summertime milkshake that’s more icy than creamy, with the rich flavors you love from a cup of hot chocolate, topped with whipped cream!
- Course: Beverage
- Cuisine: American
- Keyword: cold chocolate drink, milkshake
- Servings: 4
- Calories: 258 kcal
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate , or milk chocolate (your favorite kind)
- 1 Tablespoon store-bought hot chocolate powder
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3-4 cups ice cubes
- Whipped Cream for topping, optional
Chop the chocolate into small pieces and melt in the microwave on half power, stirring every 20 seconds.
Once melted, add hot chocolate powder and sugar, stirring until well blended. Slowly stir in 1/2 cup milk, stirring until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
In a blender, add the remaining 1 cup milk, chocolate mixture and ice. Blend well until smooth. Taste and add more ice if you want it thicker, and another spoonful of hot chocolate mix if you’d like it sweeter.
Serve immediately, topped with sweetened whipped cream and chocolate curls, if desired.